Grindstone Board Members
Charles Fordham (51:16, Built the Litsch house) (Advertisement in the Shasta Courier dated January 6, 1877: C. W. Fordham, successor to Fordham and Isaacs, Main Street Shasta. Wholesale and Retail Dealer in Cigars, Tobacco...(long list)...Having purchased the business formerly carried on by J. M. Manasse, he begs leave to inform the public generally, that he intends to keep first class goods, and to sell at reasonable prices...Charles W. Fordham, Shasta, January 1, 1877, the Jan 10 1880 has F. Prehn as successor to Fordham) (Plasterer at Shasta in 1881) (See "Notice" and "Grand Entertainment" under James E. Isaacs below) (Shasta Co. Family Tree online: 1842-? BIRTH: 1842, IA; Father: Frederick FORDHAM, BIRTH: 1796, NY; Mother: Samantha BIRTH: 1802, NY; Sister: Josephine FORDHAM
1847-? BIRTH: 1847, IL)
James Edward Isaacs, Sr. (56:32, In 1854 the Shasta Merchant Steamboat Ass. was formed, including James Isaacs and S. H. Dosh) (Richard Cordero) (Advertisement in the Shasta Courier dated January 3, 1874: Great Excitement! at J. Isaacs Pioneer Dry Goods & Clothing Emporium! at Shasta and Redding New Goods. New Styles! ...with long list) (Advertisement in the Shasta Courier dated April 10, 1875: "Grand Entertainment by the Shasta Dramatic Club" listing Isaacs as manager with two dramas entitled "The Last Loaf" and "The Dead Shot" with Isaacs playing characters in each as well as recitations during the interlude entitled "The Drunkard and his Dog" and Over the Hills to the Poor House." Also lists C. W. Fordham and J. C. Voluntine as singing and acting) (Advertisement in the Shasta Courier dated January 11, 1879, reads "Jas. E. Isaacs, Shasta, California, agent for M. Gray, Music Dealer, San Francisco. Steinway Piano...all kinds of musical instruments...keeps a stock of sheet music constantly on hand at Prehn's store...Send stamp for Catalogue of music." Notice in same reads "All persons knowing themselves indebted to C. W. Fordham, will please call at my office and settle and thereby save costs, as he has placed his accounts in my hands for collections. James E. Isaacs, Justice of the Peace. Shasta, January 1, 1879,") (Advertisement in Shasta Courier dated Saturday, June 21, 1879, announces that Isaacs is running for District Attorney "subject to the decision of the Republican County Convention" and on same page shows that he was on the Reception Committee for the Grand Fourth of July Celebration at Bystle Hall that year.) (66:50 Jim Isaacs, an attorney from Shasta, wrote Dad (Andrew Leslie, circa 1880) to meet him him at Millville with some county officers, as my cousin Will Wright was missing. Of course Dad went and came home with the following report. It seems that Will had a bottle of liquor in his store which the Indians wanted. Will put up a fight but was outnumbered. The posses started a man hunt and after a few days they found Will's buckboard and horse and Will's head. His body was never located) (Justice of the Peace, Notary Public, and lawyer at Shasta in 1881) (see under Grindstone Club above) (Shasta Co. Family Tree online: Alice ISAACS (1907 - ____); Edith Thyra ISAACS (1887 - ____); George Dorn ISAACS (23 JAN 1891 - ____); James E. ISAACS (1855 - ____)
James E. ISAACS , Jr. (1893 - ____); Joseph ISAACS (1825 - ____); Joseph N. ISAACS (1867 - 16 FEB 1910); Josephine ISAACS (1909 - ____); Linda A. ISAACS (1865 - ____); Linnie Louisa ISAACS (1883 - ____); William ISAACS (1859 - ____))
Mr. Peck (Marcus Hodges), Purchased a group of mining claims for $6,000 in 1873, including the Copper Hill Mine and the Peck Mine which was later renamed the Afterthought. Because access to the mine was difficult, he and his employees packed ore from the mine on back sacks to the top of the hill where it was transferred to wagons for shipment to eastern refineries.) Peck Bridge, 94:57, 75:16,
Paul Saunder's (#131) mission presentation:
Marcus Hodges Peck: Miner
Marcus H. Peck was born in New York or Chicago on or around 1843, according to the Great Register of Shasta County he moved here in 1873. Which would have put him at the age of 30 years old. When he registered in Shasta County the profession that he marked himself as was; Minor.
Now the amazing thing is that at 30 years old he went out 24 miles northeast of Redding looking for a new business venture, what he found was a little town called Ingot. And in that town he came across a claim for sale, the claim was founded around 1862 and was called at that time the Afterthought Mine.
The mine at that time had not produced much of anything (until Marcus purchased it) in 1873. He bought the mine for $6000 dollars. At that time $6000 dollars would be equivalent to $119,828 dollars today. (Not bad for a 30 year old, I’d say he had his shit together) Marcus immediately renamed the it, Peck Mine.
But shortly there after he renamed it back to the afterthought mine, I’m thinking it’s because it probably came off a little pretentious and it would have been a little harder to get the smaller claims rented out later down the road.(on the property)
The mine started producing ore zinc sulfide, silver, gold and copper, which later produced so much copper it became one of the most successful copper mines in Shasta county. But at first they mostly mined ore zinc sulfide which they sold to smelt down for brass, nickel and aluminum that they would later use the stock piles for World War One for bullet casings etc.
Marcus and his men would pack out the ore on there backs up a hill which then went to horse back and wagon. From there it was shipped to Stockton and transferred to ships that carried it to Baltimore, Maryland and to Swansea Wales. In 1875 being so successful, Peck made the first local attempt to built his own furnace and smelt on location.
It was not successful, after operating for a few more years and still making good on the copper, silver, and gold, he sold it in 1903 to the Great Western Gold Co. From there on out there have been many many owners and operators. It finally closed for good in 1927.
I also found in a book that I purchased from the Shasta County Historical Society, named (The Covered Wagon) Published in 1959 that Marcus Peck was one of the earliest members of the Grindstone along with W.S.Willis, Charles Fordham, William A. Scott, the shoemaker James E. Isaacs a lawyer. And of course Mr. Voluntine, Potts and Bartosh. I still have not found where he was laid to rest or a picture but I’m not giving up.
William A. Scott, the shoemaker (Established a bootmaking business in Shasta in 1850, still operating in 1881) 48:26 (In Shasta Courier dated Saturday, June 21, 1879, shows he was on the Supper Committee for the Grand Fourth of July Celebration at Bystle Hall for that year.)
W. S. Wills (William Stephen, 1816-1899, Arrived at Shasta in the early 1850's. Built a frame house just over the hill E of town on 40 acres, planted a large vegetable garden, and started a produce business. Eventually planted fruit trees and vineyards. The road from Waugh's Ferry to Shasta skirted the lower field of his property. Constructed a kiln and manufactured bricks on the property. Many of Shasta's bricks were manufactured here.) (82:92, Pioneer Plaque, returned to Augusta, Maine in 1878 where he died December 9, 1899) (Shasta Co. Family Tree online: 1818-? BIRTH: 1818, ME; Wife: Esther BIRTH: 1825, ME; Children: Ellen WILLS, 1848, ME; Ida C. WILLS,1856, CA, Harry L. W. DURFOR* MARRIAGE: 29 NOV 1877, Shasta Co., CA; Essie WILLS, 1867, CA)
Charter member of IOOF Shasta Lodge No. 57
WILLIAM STEPHEN WILLS ESTHER JANE CROWEL
William Stephen Wills was born in Kingfield, Maine, before Maine became a state, Mr. Wills always considered it his home and retained property he had in Augusta throughout the years of his absence. He received his education in the common schools of Augusta and was in business there from 1840 to 1850, afterward spending some time in Mobile, New Orleans, Texas, Nicaragua and San Francisco. Sometime in the early 1850s he selected Shasta, California as the place to make his fortune, however it was not his intention to do so by mining. He built a frame house in a beautiful spring-fed glade just over the hill east of town. With the help of a gardener, he started a produce business, selling berries, vegetables, and other small produce graduating to fruit trees and vineyards as time went on. Later he patented his claim for forty acres although only a small portion was suitable for gardening. The road from Waugh Ferry on the Sacramento River to Shasta skirted the lower field of his property.
Finding upon this property suitable clay for bricks, he had a kiln constructed and furnished
some bricks for chimneys and buildings in Shasta, he was a shrewd but honest businessman and may have been the first realtor in Shasta County. A two story brick building which he owned as a rental property for over forty years was the last of these old landmarks to topple. During his residence near Shasta, Mr. Wills made several trips to eastern points combining business with pleasure and his stories of these travels were particularly enjoyed as he was an observant and appreciative traveler with a sense of hurmor.
In 1878 he retired from business ventures and sent his wife and youngest daughter to Augusta
by train while he took one last trip around the Horn to spend the rest of his long and honorable
life in his native state. He died in Maine in 1899 and is buried in Mt. Pleasant Cemetery in Augusta. Mrs. Wills is also buried there.
There were three children. Ellen b: 1849, Ida b: 1858, Essie Crowell b: 1867
Source: Shasta Historical Society
Mr. E. Voluntine (Advertisment in the Shasta Courier dated 1868: Taylor & Voluntine, Main Street, Shasta, Dealers in Hardware...) (Eric Anderson) (Advertisment in the Shasta Courier dated January 3, 1874: E. Voluntine, Manufacturer and Dealer in Tin, Sheet Iron & Copper Ware and also, Hardware...(long list)...Shasta, July 22, 1871.) (see "Grand Entertainment" under Isaacs above) (an early hardware store owner at Shasta, still there in 1881) Edwin listed in 1870 census, listed as tin smith at age 41 in 1880 along with a John Champan Voluntine age 21 also tin smith. 1960 CW: Nellie Voluntine was married to Charles Shurtleff, both went to Napa Collegiate Institute, later the College of the Pacific in Stockton, in c.1878. "John Voluntine, of Lake County, came up to eat Christmas turkey at "home." (Jan. 2, 1886 Weekly Shasta Courier)
Weekly Shasta Courier:
Saturday, March 15, 1890
Death of Edwin Voluntine
"It becomes our painful duty to record the death of one of our most respected and prominent citizens. Last Monday Morning at 10 o'clock the sorrowful announcement was made that Edwin Voluntine had breathed his last...It was in 1854 that himself and wife came from Ohio to Horsetown, where, for a time he engaged in the tinware business. From Horsetown he came to Shasta, where for many years he has conducted one of the largest and most complete hardware stores and manufactories in Northern California. He leaves to mourn his loss a devoted wife, a son and daughter, beside other relatives and a host of friends. His age was 65 years..."
Son John C. came from Lake county for several weeks to attend to estate (liquidation), then Henry Chapman, brother-in-law to E., assisted by Augustus Grotefend, took over April 12, 1890, so John could return to farm.
Shasta Masonic and IOOF Cemetery
Valentine, Edwin 1825 1890
Valentine, Mary E. 1829 1905
VOLUNTINE EDWIN - 1820 03/10/1890 NY - P1905
Married (*) who died Seattle Sept 4, 1905
A. JOHN CHAPMAN VOLUNTINE born Hudson,
Ohio Feb 17, 1853 died Red Bluff March 16,
1907 married Tehama Co March 15, 1880
Kate K Keith born Calif July 6, 1861 died Red
Bluff April 11, 1930, daughter of James Keith
and Harriet (*). Red Bluff 1880 census
1. JAMES KEITH VOLUNTINE born Calif
March 3, 1882 died Red Bluff Feb 11, 1941
Grindstone Club Members
J. E. Barber (Judge) (66:13, tried a case related to the Blue Gravel Mine) (Jan. 1908 Searchlight: Attorney J. E. Barber returned Wednesday morning from San Francisco, where he had spent a week.)
John J. Bartosh (Second Patron Saint)
Aaron Bell (Superior Court Judge) (Vern ) (70:25-29) Married to Julia Fipps by Hon Wm. E. Hopping at Shasta in Jan. 3rd 1874 Weekly Shasta Courier.
Aaron Bell, Superior Judge of the county of Shasta since 1879, came to California in 1852. He was born in Pennsylvania, December 2, 1832. His ancestors have resided in America since before the Revolution and were from Scotland. His grandfather, John Bell, participated in the Revolution on the side of the colonies; served under Benedict Arnold; went with him on his expedition to Quebec, and after the war settled in Ohio where the city of Cincinnati now stands. Afterward he moved to Pennsylvania and settled on a farm. Later he was in the mercantile business for some years. He was a zealous Presbyterians; was married in New Jersey, and had six sons and two daughters. John Bell, Jr., the fourth child, was born in Cleveland, Ohio, and was in the iron foundry business for many years in the State of Pennsylvania. He married Miss Christiana Evans, of Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania, and with his family settled, in 1855, in El Dorado County.
Judge Bell was the eldest child of their family of six children, four sons and two daughters. He was educated in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, studied law in a law school there, and after coming to California pursued his studies for several years and was admitted to practice in the old District Court in 1864. He practiced law in the city of Sacramento for three years, gave United States land law his special attention, and became an expert in that department of law practice. A United States land office having been established at Shasta, and the officers thereof, not understanding their duties very well, had some complications with the department at Washington. The Judge went to Shasta to assist in straightening out matters. Becoming favorably impressed with the county, he located there. He was appointed Register of the Land Office in the place of the register who had resigned. He served in this capacity until 1879, when he resigned to run for the office of Judge of the Superior Court, having received the nomination from the Republican party. The county at that time had 250 Democratic majority, but Judge Bell was elected by 600 majority, a very flattering vote. The duties of the office of Superior Judge were at that time quite onerous, and many times he had to decide cases on which there had been great difference of opinion. In his first term a most trying and unheard-of case came before him. The sheriff elect of the county was refused the office by the incumbent on the ground that he had not given the county sufficient bonds. It was claimed that by the census of 1880 the county had advanced from of a county of the third class to that of the second class, and that he should not hold the sheriffalty, as he had not given legal bonds. The Judge was applied to and the matter duly tried before him; he gave an order to an officer to seize the books and papers of the office and to take sufficient force to execute the order. The out-going sheriff, with his men armed with Henry rifles, held the court-house with the door barred on the inside, refused admittance and threatened the officer if he touched the door it would be at the peril of his life. It took the force of several men to break it in, which they did and seized the books and papers of the office. The people took sides in the affair and many were very much incensed with the out-going sheriff's course. The case was carried to the Supreme Court and the Judge's action sustained in every particular.
Another very exciting and notable case was that which was held to prevent the removal of the county-seat from Shasta. When Judge Bell gave his decision in that case the court-house was filled, anvils were fired by citizens of Redding and great excitement prevailed. The case was taken to the Supreme Court, and after three years' litigation the case was decided in accordance with Judge Bell's decision.
It is a matter of record that in eleven years only one case was returned and retried. His decisions have been made with reference to his duty as a judge of the law, and his legal ability has been most flatteringly sustained, both by the Supreme Court of the State and by his fellow citizens. At his last election his majority was 700, when the majority of his ticket was only eighty. During most of his history in California he has been interested in mines and mining. In 1853 he was a partner with Marshall, and was often with him and his men. He has a cane made from the head block of Sutter's mill when gold was discovered. Judge Bell and his brother, who is an expert miner, are interested in several valuable mines and also in timbered lands at the base of Mount Shasta. He is interested in a box, shingle and lath factory, and in 1889 manufactured over 400,000 raisin boxes.
Judge Bell takes an active part in several of the fraternal societies of the county. He became an Odd Fellow in 1855; has been a member of the Grand Lodge since 1861, and is a member of the Veteran Association of the State. He is one of the charter members of Shasta Lodge, A.O.U.W., which started in 1878; and he has been made Grand Commander of the American Legion of Honor of the State for two terms. His father died in 1862, and his mother is still living, a hale, hearty, old lady of seventy-seven years. She resides with the Judge and his interesting family in a nice residence in Redding, where he can spend the evening of life, having merited the confidence and esteem of his fellow-citizens.
He was married in January, 1874, to Miss Julia Fipps, a native of Missouri, and formerly a successful school-teacher in Shasta. They have had three sons, born in Shasta County, viz.: Jesse, George E. and Harvey.
William Bickford (County Clerk) (91:64, Picture of him and Redding Land Office) (52:13, of Buckeye) (82:63, In June 1873 issued the license for the first couple married in Redding) (Elected as County Clerk, Auditor and Recorder during the years 1872 through 1878. Mining partner of Stephen L. Albro at Quartz Hill. Owned a general merchandise and dry goods store in the Millville post office building with partner Charlie A. Teel in 1881. Was a Land Office lawyer at Redding. add pg. 90 of 1881 directory for Teel & Bickford Gen. Mer.)
Frank Bloom (Taught piano lessons to Christine Sutherland Glover in Shasta from Redding?)
Robert Boyd (Sergeant-at-Arms, 1915) (66:35, Horsetown family) (Shasta Co. Family Tree: BIRTH: 1860, CA, brother-in-law of Michael Dittmar) B. F. Boyd, Boyd Hotel in Copper City add.
Benjamin Franklin Boyd
Benjamin Franklin Boyd was a native of Shasta County, born at Horsetown, situated in the Clear Creek territory in Shasta County, on February 27, 1862, parents unknown.* Boyd recieved his education at Horsetown. Then at a later age he moved to the settlement of Eagle Creek, which became Ono in 1883. At that town he ran a merchandise store.
On March 6, 1891 he became the postmaster at Ono, this position he served honorably. Becoming well established in Western Shasta, Boyd, was the regular nominee of the Peoples's Party for Clerk and Auditor of Shasta County, in October of 1898.
In later years B.F. Boyd moved to Redding and operated a business in that city. Boyd was one of the most prominent and highly respected men of Western Shasta. He died in May of 1934 at the home of his brother, Charles Boyd, located on Willis Street in Redding. Benjamin was 72 years of age and was buried in the Ono Cemetery at Ono.
Contributed by Jeremy M. Tuggle
Resource: The Weekly Shasta Courier, Saturday, October 1, 1898, and The Courier-Free Press, Friday, June 1, 1934. Obituary of Benjamin F. Boyd.
* Parents: William & Catherine (McGee) Boyd
Joseph Warren Brackett (first attorney in Millville) (59:30, first teacher in Redding at the Little Pine Street schoolhouse in 1873-1874) (87:34-35, son Billy was later the editor of the Searchlight) (Joseph W. 83:58-59) (Redding Cemetery, born c1838, died March 27, 1875, age 39, 15 days, lawyer born on OH)
Charles H. Braynard (Club Attorney, 1918) (1904 directory, resident) Age 29 in 1894 Great Register. City Attorney, Notory Public, Offices Bank of Northern California building in Redding in 1896 Daily Free Press.
Louis Breslauer (1882-1973) (73:74, a member of a pioneer Redding family, died in San Francisco on April 15, 1973. He was born on November 27, 1882, and lived forty-five years in Redding before moving to San Francisco. He was an accountant before his retirement. His wife, Katherine, had preceded him in death. Internment was in Salem Memorial Park, Colma, CA) (74:33, owner of the Hub, a men's clothing store)
Nathan Breslauer (N Breslauer & Co., Gen. Mer., 1881 Dir.)
Samuel Breslauer (Treasurer. 1916, 1917) (85:35, co-owner of the Hub with brother Dave, youngest son of Nathan, died in 1948) (1920 Census lists him as married to Elta, ages 34 & 33, grom Germanyi & Missouri, speaks german, salesman in clothing store.)
Carl Richard Briggs (Terence Davis) (founder of Shasta County Title Company, died March 5, 1918)
Francis P. Carr (Attorney, Judge, 1875-1944, admitted to bar 1898, State Water Commissioner, Helped form the Anderson-Cottonwood Irrigation District, Married Mary Agnes Kennedy in 1908, Advocated the construction of Whiskeytown Lake, instrumental in fight for Shasta Dam, formed the Redding Law Firm of Carr and Kennedy in 1914, memory preserved in the Judge Francis Carr Powerhouse at Whiskeytown Lake.) (1881 add for law practice on Main Street in Millville) (44:6,7, 59:22,28, 74:64-65, 75:15, 84:80, 85:41, 86:104) (helped found the Shasta Historical Society in 1930)
John J. Chambers listed in 1880 census, (1990:72) (Today is Tuesday, Nov. 14, 2000. On this date: In 1900, real estate agent J.J. Chambers advertised a 2-story home in Redding for $1,050)
John Craddock (1832-1923) (1881 add for Livery, Feed, and Sale Stables on Main Street in Shasta and Butte Street in Redding) (44:9-10, 59:23, 74:47, caricatures) (79:51, Redding Trustee 1912-1914, on Diestelhorst plaque) (Arrived at Shasta in 1853 as a goldminer, began driving stages in 1854 for 10 years, married Elotia Chauncey in 1861, served as U.S. Revenue Collector in 1862-63, purchased F. B. Chandler's livery stable and business at Shasta, purchased property on Butte Street in Redding in 1872 and established another which was destroyed in the 1881 fire.)
Michael. E. Dittmar (1869-1940) (Arrived at Redding in 1894, established The Searchlight newspaper with partner A. R. Brown in 1895, married Amelia Boyd in same year, established and published Mineral Wealth, a monthly mining journal with partner Hal Weldon from 1896 to 1906) (79:24, owned buildings that burned in Delamar fire of 1910) (80:7, part of the organizers of the Lassen National Park Association) (81:23, Part of formiing the Castle Crags Wilderness State Park Association in 1930 and on board of directors along with Harry w. Glover) (82:91, helped found the Shasta Historical Society in 1930) (88:41-42 Partner with Hal Weldon in an assay and drafting office in the 1400 block of Market Street) (49:35, 66:35, 83:48, July 23, 1896 signed up for Redding Fire Dept.) (Family Tree: BIRTH: 1869, IL; Wife: Amelia BOYD, sister of Robert Boyd, MARRIAGE: 15 OCT 1895, Shasta Co., CA)
Angus James Drynan (49:35, County Clerk in 1898) (1894 Reg: Drynan, Angus J. 38 CAN N. Redding / Redding Oct-3-1892 5' 6" Dark Hazel Dark n. Virtue of father) (1896 Reg: Drynan, Angus J. 42 CAN Redding Co Clerk Jun-20-1896 5' 7" Fair Gray Gray n. Virtue of father) (Drynan, Angus James 49 Redding in 1904 Reg.; also in 1920)
Courier-Free Press, January 5, 1910
JAMES DRYNAN REAPPOINTED
President Taft today nominated Angus J. Drynan to be postmaster at Redding...While this reappointment will not come at any surprise to the patrons of the Redding postoffice, congratulations are strictly in order.
Mr. Drynan, without any reflection on his predecessors, has made a remarkably able and courteous official and the announcement from Washington is only what he thoroughly deserved by the strict attention he has given to his office at all times.
George Endres (Best Vice President, 1915) (in 1904 voters; 1912 voters as painter; 1926 voters: Endres, George V. Sign Writer Rep Redding) (Death records: Endres, George V. - about 1870 - May-9-1935)
Allen Wilmot Etter (67:41, Ruggles Brothers hanged black smith shop, east of Oregon Street near tracks) (73:52-53, vice president of Bank of Shasta County in 1910) (72:9, partner with Mr. Coleman in the Redding Lime and Brick Company south of town near where Wyndham Lane is now) (79:31, married Elizabeth "Lizzie" Litsch in 1897, daughter of Frank and Caroline)
ALLEN W. ETTER
junior member of the firm of Klemmer & Etter, wholesale and retail dealers in flour, feed, grain and hay, was born in Nova Scotia, May 14, 1854. His parents, James and Eliza Ann (McKean) Etter, were both natives of Nova Scotia. Their ancestors were from Holland. Allen W. is the eighth of their eleven children, nine of whom are living. He was reared in his native place, educated in the common schools and learned the trade of wagon-maker. He worked at his trade there until he was twenty-four years of age, when he came to California and located in Princeton, Colusa County. There he remained four years, working at his trade. In 1886 he came to Redding and formed a partnership with Mr. Klemmer. They are enterprising men and are doing a fine business.
In politics Mr. Etter is a liberal Democrat. He is a member of the I.O.O.F.,a nd has passed all the chairs of the order several times.
Memorial & Biographical History of Northern California,
The Lewis Publishing Co., 1891
Jack W. Garden (City Judge) (60:56, juror in trial of John Baker for the murder of George M. Cline, found guilty) (67:42, owned land on Lower Springs) (Elected County Tax Collector in 1864 to 1868,, operated a general merchandise and dry goods store at Gas Point in 1881, add in directory, elected County Supervisor in 1881-82)
Daily Free Press March 29, 1899:
DRANK NO LIQUOR FOR TWELVE MONTHS
A STRANGE COMPACT OF THE LONG AGO...
Gardner (Judge) (61:22, Dr. Gardner owned homestead in Bald Hills) (73:30, G. M. Gardner filed water rights to be used for power and milling in connection with Gardner placer mining claim in Sulpher Creek area) (78:64, Ralph E., part of committee to rebuild the First Presbyterian church that burned in 1915) (Family Tree: Ben 1889 - ?, Edmond 1843 - ?, Edward 1888 - ?, James 1893 - ?, Thomas 1898 - ?) Jack (manager in suit) in picture (CD19, frame 36) of 12 baseball players.
Carroll Glaszer in 1900 census
John William Hare (Judge) (73:57, in 1911 add for The Redding National Bank on Board of Directors)
Charles M. Head (Judge) (70:29, gave eulogy for Judge Bell from bench in 1903) (70:60, Stockholder in Masonic Building Ass. in 1906) (74:47, Boosters)
Charles W. Herzinger (Club Attorney, 1917) (1904 Directory, Attorney) (Referred to as one of the superior Judges by George Albro , 67:42) (Herzinger, Charles W. 30 CA S. Redding / Redding Mar-17-1894 6' Dark Hazel Dark in 1894 Reg.) (in 1900 voters reg.) (In 1912 voters: Herzinger, Charles W. (Rep.) Male Attorney-at-Law Redding) (February 16, 1900, Redding resident Charles Herzinger was going to Washington, D.C. to accept the position of compositor in the government printing office.) (In 1901, appearing before Judge Herzinger in a Redding court, one man admitted to stealing a hat and was held without bail. A second was charged with throwing a spittoon at a bartender and appeared in court with a battered "face of many colors."). Searchlight 1-1-1908: DA Tillotson revoked assistant DA Charles W. Herzinger's appointment, after latter had refused to resign.
Walter E. Herzinger (Attorney, Justice of the Peace for Redding Township in 1918) (Alex Gaxiola) (Herzinger, Walter E. 22 CA S. Redding / Redding Jan-13-1892 5' 9" Fair Hazel Dark in 1894 Reg.) (in 1900 voters reg.) (1912 voters: Herzinger, Walter E. (Dem.) Male Attorney-at-Law Redding) (In 1920 census) (In 1926 voters, Superior Judge) (Marriage: Herzinger, Walter E. McConnell, Lillian M. Jun-1-1898) (in 1930 census) (Today is June 1, 2002. On this date: In 1902, Superior Court Judge Sweeney granted a request for a change of date for a trial when Judge Herzinger object to the original date of Friday, June 13. Judge Herzinger felt the 13th was "a hoodoo" and was to be avoided.)
Peter Hoff, Jr. (Recorder, 1917) (Advertisement in the Shasta Courier dated April 17, 1875: City Market, Main Street Shasta, Peter Hoff [Sr.], Pro. The proprietor of this well known market, respectfully informs the Pub- that a good supply of the best quality of fresh meats...(long list)... Prices to Suit the Times. Shasta, Jan. 16, 1875.) (68:60, a lifetime resident of Shasta Co. died April 22, 1968, at the age of ninety-three. He was born in Shasta May 13, 1874, the son of Peter [Sr.] and Louisa Hoff, pioneer residents of Shasta and Redding. Throughout his active years he operated ranches in Shasta, Tehama, and Trinity counties. He was a member of the Redding Elks Lodge and of Shasta Historical Society) (87:77, The embossed metal ceiling in the museum library was salvaged from the Hoff building on Yuba) (Established [Sr.] the City Meat Market at Shasta in 1855 which became known as Peter Hoff's Butcher Shop. Lorenz Garrecht (1836-1905) became a partner for a period of time, as was DeMarcus. (In 1878 the shop was destroyed by fire, rebuilt, and sold to H. Prackle in approx. 1881. The tunnel in the hillside on the south side of Main Street at Shasta leads to the remains of his 10x10 ft. cold storage room which was used as a smokehouse for one month each year. Hoff [Sr.] established and operated a second market on Yuba Street in Redding. The building was built in 1887 and demolished in the early 1970's to make way for the Downtown Mall) "East of the Golden Eagle Hotel were the Hoff building and the McCormick-Saeltzer Company store, both built about the same time as the hotel. Many of the earlier members of the Grindstone Club were county officials, as after the removal of the county seat from Shasta, the Hoff Building was used as the Shasta County Court House in 1889 and 1890 until the new courthouse on the hill was finished. The proximity of this "court house" brought customers to the cigar store and members to the Grindstone Club." "cattle king" in 1916 article.
George Dorn Isaacs Son of James Edward, born January 23, 1891 in Redding, living in Sacramento in 1955 at 412 - 19th St. Student at Shasta High in 1908 Daisy, senior in 1910, Latin course
James Edward Isaacs, Sr.
(74:46-47 These two pages of cartoons of Redding's boosters are from the American Progress Magazine of 1910) (See also under Grindstone Board) (1904 Dir. at 803 Pine St.) Married Mary Elizabeth Leschinsky. Admitted to practice as attorney and counselor at law along with Francis Carr in Reading Independent May 6,1880.
James E. Isaacs, District Attorney of Shasta County, was born in Shasta, California, June 29, 1855. His father, Josephus Isaacs, was born in England in 1824, and was a pioneer of Shasta County. He married Selada M. Downey (Celinda Downer? CW1993 p.35), a native of New Jersey. Her father, A.L. Downey, is a pioneer of California; is now eighty-seven years of age, and resides at Sacramento. Five children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Isaacs, only two of whom are living. Mr. Isaacs followed several vocations in life, latterly that of a merchant. His death occurred in 1878 (1873 CW1993). His widow is still living.
James E. was educated in the public schools of his native place, attending school from seven until fifteen years of age. The rest of his education has been obtained in the dear school of experience. His father had made large sums of money, but was unfortunate and lost heavily, and died leaving his estate embarrassed. Thus the care of his mother and her three children devolved up to the subject of this sketch. He engaged in the dry goods and fancy goods business at Shasta, which he continued until 1877. In that year he was elected Justice of Shasta Township, and held the office two terms. In 1880 he was admitted to practice law by the Superior Court of Shasta County, and since then has devoted his time to that profession. Mr. Isaacs has given special attention to the land office law, and is considered the best authority on that subject in Northern California. His father was a stanch Republican, but he has espoused the cause of the Democratic party; and that party, either to show their appreciation of the popular young lawyer or to secure a candidate that they were nearly certain to elect, nominated him for the District Attorney of the County. He was elected by the handsome majority of 321, while the Republican majority for President that year was ninety-six. He has since been unanimously nominated by his party for a second term, and his prospects for re-election are very flattering. Previous to this time, from 1880 till 1884, he was Deputy District Attorney of the County, under District Attorney Taylor.
May 1,1882, Mr. Isaacs led to the hymeneal altar a native daughter of the Golden West, Miss Mary E. Leschinsky. She was born in Shasta County, the daughter of A. F. Leschinsky, also a pioneer of this County. Two children have been born to them: Linie and Edith Thyra.
Mr. Isaacs is a charter member and one of the organizers of the Mount Shasta Parlor, No.35, Native Sons of the Golden West. He takes a deep interest in the order, and for four years held the office of District Deputy. In 1886 he was elected a Grand Trustee of the Grand Parlor of the State, and was re-elected to the office in 1887. Mr. Isaacs is an agreeable and courteous
gentleman. He is one who has in his composition the necessary amount of push and go-aheadativeness to succeed in whatever enterprise he undertakes." (Source: Memorial and Biographical History of Northern California, Lewis Publishing Co., 1891; Transcribed by: Melody Landon Gregory August 2004)
Edward Isaacs was on the battleship Oregon (along with Christian Lintz of Cottonwood) and went around the Horn during the Spanish-American War. (Giles book 281)
James Edward Isaacs, Jr. (Leader of Lambs Orchestra & bass drum, 1918)
The Searchlight, November 6, 1918
JAMES E. ISAACS IS CALLED BEYOND
ACTIVE YOUNG MAN OF 26 YEARS LOSES IN BATTLE AGAINST PNEUMONIA
James E. Isaacs, one of the best known young men in Redding, died in the home of his mother, Mrs. Mary E. Isaacs, in Market street, at 1 o'clock Tuesday morning. Pneumonia was the cause. Never in rugged health, he was really ill for several weeks, but his loyalty to his employer in the Golden Eagle cigar store kept him at work after he really should have been at home and in bed. The dread disease had a hold on him before he finally gave up and took to bed.
"Jimmie" Isaacs, as everybody called him, was born in Redding on September 25, 1892, making his age a little better than 26 years. He was a son of the late James E. Isaacs Sr., for whom he was named. "Jimmie" attended the public schools of Redding, entering high school at the age of 13. After attending high school for two years, he quit to undergo a serious operation for a throat trouble. Recovering, he entered the employ of John Potts in the Golden Eagle Cigar store, and remained there ever since under two different proprietors. He was a good clerk and was as honest a boy as ever stepped behind a counter. Jimmie Isaacs was faithful to his employer and attentive to business.
The most delightful trait of his character was his intense love for his widowed mother. He was always thoughtful of her welfare and happiness, and yet he made no display of his devotion. Jimmie Isaacs was plain spoken. He covered up nothing, and had the way of speaking right out.
The decedent was drafted, but he was rejected on physical examination, showing that he was not in rugged bodily health and therefore not calculated to win out in a battle with pneumonia.
Jimmie Isaacs leaves, in addition to his mother, a sister, Mrs. Linnie Healey of San Francisco, who was at his bedside at the last, and Dorn Isaacs, a brother whos is a soldier at Camp Kearny. The brother left camp Tuesday morning and may arrive in Redding Wednesday evening, and then the time of the funeral will be set.
Young Isaacs was a member of the Native Sons and was an active fireman. He makes the sixth member McCloud parlor of Native Sons has lost since the epidemic came.
John R. Jones (Reverend)
C. C. Keen (Toastmaster. 1918) (Keen, Clarence C. (Rep.) Male Mill Foreman Redding in 1912 Voters Reg.)
Dr. J. J. Kirwan (Vice-President, 1918) "optical king" in 1916 article.
F. X. LaBonte (President, 1914) Francis in 1900 census, Francis Xavier age 51 in 1900 voters registration, Francis X. B. age 45 from Canada in 1894 Great Reg., naturalized in Sierra Co. in 1877, dry goods and variety store in Sierra Co 1885 Directory. Superintendent for Mariscano Mining Co. operating at Sunny Hill in Dec. 30th 1896 Daily Free Press
F. Lack, Jr. (1920 Census lists Frank L. as son of Chas. L. and Elta B., age 20, parents 48 & 57, Frank works in cigar store, father is machinist for Electric Power Co.) (Family Tree: Frank Jerome L. LACK, 15 DEC 1899 - ?, Father: Charles Lucas Lack BIRTH: SEP 1869, TN, DEATH: APR 1943, Shasta Co., CA, BURIAL: Millville Masonic, Father: Demarcus Franklin LACK, Mother: Mary Jane MCDONALD, Wife: Etta B. BEALE, MARRIAGE: 26 MAR 1899, Shasta Co., CA) D.F.Lack running for Sheriff in Shasta in 1880.
BIOGRAPHY: AKA-When Lack died the Obit called him Max, also called "Mack" and "Mac". OCCUPATION: Stock Raiser all of his life. For the last 3 years of his life he
was partners with Peter Hoff in the cattle business.
Butcher - incidental to his stock raising business, Max also sold
meat and had an impressive list of customers. See below.
*Shasta Co.Probate Records-Undivided 1/2 interest in partnership with
Peter Hoff in farming and cattle raising enterprise on what is known as the Dan Hunt Place on South Cow Creek. Property consisted of a lease held by the co-partners and stock and farming implements. Appraised at no value.
The Weekly Shasta Courier--------------------------------- 15 Mar 1898-
Election Proclamation (Canadates)
Cottonwood/Clerks---Frederick Arneth and D.F.Lack Jr.---Polls at Carters
* Mayme Taylor Moffit says; family joke - Max was named for his father,
Demarcus Franklin Lack, yet he was called "Max" and his father "Frank"
not realizing this, friends would ask where he got his name and they were told... "After an old wood chopper, who is a friend of the family".
[It was a family joke]
* Information collected by Vivian Dawson for the Shasta Historical Society
Pioneer Plaque program included this; The Lack's raised Angora goats,
cattle, pigs and chickens on several ranches in the Stillwater and South
Cow Creek Areas. Lack had a reputation as a skilled butcher. Among Lack's customers were workmen on the Coleman powerhouse project and a crew of Greek railroad workers in Kennett, a town now submerged by Shasta Lake.
* Great Register 1894-------------------------------------------- #2223 - gives physical discription; 5 foot 8 inches tall; light complexion,hazel
eyes, and Brown hair. Living in Millville.
* Great Register 1898-------------------------------------------- #2410 Gives physical discription; same a above but includes scars on right
fingers. Living in Shingletown.
same as above but includes scars on right fingers. Living in Shingletown.
!Searchlight-----------------------------------------------4/5 Nov 1921------
STOCKRAISER OF COW CREEK IS SUMMONED, D.F.Lack Passed in this City Thursday;
Funeral Sunday Afternoon----------D. F. Lack, east side stockraiser on Cow
Creek, frequently called "Max" Lack, passed away in a Redding hospital at 1:35
Thursday morning. Kidney trouble was the cause. His passing was sudden
remembering how active he had always been in business.
D.F.Lack, a son of the late pioneers, Mr and Mrs Frank Lack, was born in
this county Oct 27, 1869. His whole life was spent in Shasta County. On May 5, 1889 he and Miss Clara I.Taylor were married. These children survive: Chris Lack, Alfred Lack, Dean Lack, Miss Lyda Lack, Vernon Lack, and Mrs. Hazel Cardel who lives in San Diago. All but the last and Mrs Lack were at the bedside when the final summons came.
The decedent leaves these brothers: Charles Lack and George Lack of
Redding and M.D. Lack of Sacramento, Mrs B. Burrows of San Francisco is a
sister. The grandchildren include Gerald Lack, Velma and Elizabeth Woodbury.
D.F.Lack was a farmer and stockraiser all his life. For the last three
years he was a partner of Peter Hoff in the cattle business. He was a hard
working man. He was conscientous in all his dealings - a worthy citizen and a husband and father devoted to his family.
The funeral will be held at the Parkville cemetery a 2 o'clock Sunday
afternoon. The services will be conducted by the Millville lodge of Odd
Fellows. He was a member of the Millville lodge.
!Cottonwood Enterprise--------------------------------------12 Jun 1909
a Palo Cedro farmer, Mack lack, fell from the seat of a high wagon, near his
home monday and sustained a broken Arm.
James N. Logan (President, 1915, 1916, 1917, 1918) (Gerry Gitchell) (father was farmer in 1881 Dir.) (79:38, In 1915, Mr. J. N. Logan, who was in charge of Shasta County's exhibit at the Panama Pacific Exposition in San Francisco was proud to announce through the Shasta Courier of July 20, that Olives grown by Mrs. Ehmann's place, the Old Alexander Ranch in Happy Valley, took the grand prize over the olives from the whole world at the Panama-Pacific Exposition.) (1904 Dir., J. N. Jr., Carpenter, 819 Yuba) (Father-in-law of C. Fred Smith) (Family Tree: BIRTH: 1868, CA; Father: James Nelson LOGAN,Sr. died 8 APR 1908; Mother: Maria BALL; Wife : Eliza G. WELSH; MARRIAGE: 31 AUG 1892, Shasta Co., CA) (Pioneer family file: b. 3-1-1868, d. 10-6-1952 at Memorial Hospital)
1870 Census Index
Shasta Co., CA:
Logan, James N. - - - Millville pg 24
Logan, James N. - - - Millville pg 24
Searchlight, October 1952:
J. N. Logan, Pioneer, Succumbs
James Nelson Logan, 84, a Shasta county pioneer, dide this morning at Memorial hospital after suffering a heart attack about 10 days ago. He was born March 1, 1868, on the Logan ranch in Churn Creek bottom and had lived in this area until 1919, when he moved to San Francisco.
He came to Shasta county from his home in San Francisco Sept. 17 to go deer hunting, and was stricken about a week later. He had been confined to bed at the home of a daughter, Mrs. C. Fred Smith, until being moved to the hospital...Before leaving Shasta county, Logan was a deputy county recorder and later undersheriff for two terms under Sheriff James Montgomery.
Besides his daugher, Mrs. Smith in Redding, he leaves a grandson, James Smith, Santa Rosa; a granddaughter Mrs. John Reginato, Redding; four great-grandchildren, and two brothers, Roy and William Logan, both of Redding.
Pallbearers: Edmund Bell, Robert D. Harling, C. Elbert Miller, Edward F. Weller, John Reginato, Harvery Turbush.
Charles Lord (Secretary, 1915) (Lord, Chas. R. -- -- #46 in 1912 Voters Registration) (Lord, Charles Richard ~ ~ 21 ~ ~ Winthrop ~ ~ 116 ~ ~ #50 in 1904 Registration) (Not in 1920 Reg.)
Charles McConnell (46:18, played on Redding baseball team (Leftfield) against Dunsmuir, losing 30-15, a photograph of the Redding team hung for years in the Reception pool room, owned by McConnell the "crack left fielder") (Erik Poole) (55:24, Mr. Charley McConnell remembers watching the excavation for the Lorenz Hotel as it progressed and thought that it woul be a hopeless job to strike a solid foundation, as the seepage from the creek made such a swamp) (Stage driver in 1881) (88:21, Donated land for Community Church of Shasta Dam) (1904 Dir. Printer for Free Press, 826 Butte)
Luke McDonald (59:50, Two prominent Shasta
County men, Mr. R. Saeltzer of Redding and Mr. Luke McDonald of French Gulch said "Jennie Bailey was the prettiest girl in Redding" and in Shasta Co. at large, 1880's) (73:53, one of directors of the Bank of Shasta Co. 1910) (82:45, McDonald family home was the Four Mile House between Shasta and Whiskeytown. Now under the Whiskeytown Lake, it was a stopping place for the freight teams. Luke and Tom McDonald also opened up the Brown Bear Mine near Deadwood, Trinity Co., on the road from French Gulch to Lewiston.) (Miner at Whiskeytown in 1881, married Maggie Mathewson in 1885) (1920 Census lists McDonald as married to Margaret, both age 62, from Ireland speaks Irish, retired.)
Francis McNeill (1904 Dir., Lists Miss Francis T. as Clerk at McCormick-Saeltzer) (Pioneer files)
Marion Nordyke (46:18, On Redding baseball team (Rightfield) played in 1895 against Dunsmuir, lost 30-15) (Treasurer, 1915) (Nordyke & Newsom owned Redding Meat Market oppos. Temple Hotel in 1899 Free Press adv.)
Sam Norton Proprietor of men's clothing store with Craddock (C. A.?) in 1910, on own in 1920.
Joseph Porter 44: 34-38 copied, (65:1, Aug. 9, 1890 purchased interest in Gladstone from Thomas Cummings) (66:31-32, copied) (73:47, married Mary Morrell age 23 in 1890, of French family in French Gulch, Charles Joseph family)
John W. Potts (First Patron Saint)
F. P. Primm (School teacher at Montgomery Creek in 1881) (74, Redding Booster caricatures from 1910, President of the Chamber of Commerce and attorney at law) (1885 Directory, Franklin P. is Attorney at law) (1904 Dir. Corner of Court and Sacramento Streets)
D. G. Reid (87:37, a trustee of Pine Street school in 1902)
E. A. Reid (4/8/1825-3/12/1902,1878-1945) (Christian Rizzi) (Edward Reid arrived at Shasta in 1857, purchased Shaw's Ferry in 1860 and changed name to Reid's Ferry, along with brother Artie J. who was County Supervisor 1860-1862, laid our "paper" towns of Union and Lincoln on opposite sides of the Sacramento River near the ferry landing in 1861 in anticipation of steamer navigation on the river but the towns and the river navigation never materialized. They owned Reid's Toll Road, aka Jackson Toll Road, built in 1875 from Redding and intersected with the Big Valley Road at Buzzard Roost (Round Mountain), which eventually became the Redding Alturus Highway. Reid's Ferry is a local historic site, put out of business in 1915 when the Diestelhorst Bridge was built, which was called Reid's Ferry Bridge for a short time.) (61:10, 70:60, 64:22, 73:51,59, 87:25, (79:24, owned Livery Stable in Delamar which burned with much of town in 1910)
John E. Reynolds (Ken) (Arrived at Whiskeytown in 1854 as a child. In later years worked as stage driver and shotgun messenger for Wells Fargo. One of first subscribers to first telephone service in Redding in 1894, listed as Saloon) (Ken Tyler) (43:38) (82:47, began riding with pack trains to Weaverville at age 10, was postmaster at Redding in early 1900's) (67:37, Undersheriff, 39 fetched George Albro from panning to become custodian and jailer of new jail in 1890, 42 was guarding the load of gold near Tower House in 1880's when stage was robbed by Black Bart, was let out in brush, crawled up a hill, watched highwayman open express box, shot and killed him, was awarded a gold watch by express company but quit job shortly, Albro states "I always thought he was superstitious."
Reynolds, Mrs. John ---- 1894
JOHN EDWARD REYNOLDS
John Edward Reynolds, Captain of the National Guards at Redding, California, is a native of Wisconsin. He was born in Dodgeville, August 2, 1849. His father, Edward Reynolds, a native of Scotland, married Margaret Doris, who was born in Wales. They came to the United States in 1840, and settled in Pennsylvania. In 1849 the father came to California, and in 1852 returned for his family, which at that time consisted of wife and five children. They reached Hangtown (now Placerville) in September of the same year. After a short stay there he went to Volcano Bar, on the American River, and engaged in mining and also kept hotel, being very successful in his undertakings. In 1854 the family came to Shasta County and took up their abode at Whiskeytown, five miles above Shasta. The father entered into a speculation in the Golden Gate Mining Tunnel, being successful in a financial way, but losing his life in the mine. In 1864, the tunnel caved in on him and others and suffocated them. Twenty hours later they were taken out dead.
The subject of this sketch was three years old when he came with his parents to California, and five when he came to Shasta County. The first work he did was when, at the age of ten years, he rode bell horse for a pack train from Shasta to Douglas City, Trinity County, a distance of fifty miles. The train consisted of fifty of sixty mules, and usually there were six men with them. Mr. Reynolds did the cooking, and was employed in that way for a year. After that he went to work for Town & Taggart, for whom he collected toll and clerked at the Town House. When Mr. Grant purchased the Weaverville and Shasta stage route, Mr. Reynolds became driver and drove till 1867. Then he drove stage for the Oregon and California Stage Company till 1876.
On the 19th of October, 1875, while driving fourteen miles north of Redding, they were stopped by two men who demanded the express box of Wells, Fargo & Co. Mr. Reynolds replied that it was locked in the bottom of the boat and they could not get at it at this place. Then the robbers shot at them, and the team ran and they got away without being robbed. On the following Christmas the company made him a present of a gold watch, inscribed as follows: "Presented to John Reynolds in recognition of his courage and devotion to Wells, Fargo & Co's interests, when attacked by highwaymen, October 19, 1875. John J. Valentine, General Superintendent."
In 1876 he went to work for Wells, Fargo & Co., as shotgun messenger, between Redding and Yreka and Redding and Weaverville. The gold from both places was sent down by express, from six to seven millions of dollars being sent per year by them. It was Mr. Reynolds' duty to guard it, and he acted in this capacity from 1876 till 1882. On the 6th day of September, 1876, they had $60,000 in gold dust with them and were within a mile of the top of Scott Mountain. At three o'clock a.m. the driver was commanded to halt, and was covered by a revolver in the hands of a masked highwayman. There were three of them, the second armed with a double-barreled shot-gun and the other with a rifle. Mr. Reynolds was in the coach, and, pointing his gun out between the curtains, shot the first man in the neck and he fell dead in his tracks. The horses started on the run. One of the highwaymen shot one horse in the fore leg. It ran 100 yards and fell dead. Mr. Reynolds then jumped from the stage and got in the shade of the trees, expecting a fight. The highwaymen, however, did not come on. One of the lead horses was put in the place of the dead one, and they reached Redding with their treasure in safety. The other men were afterward captured and tried. One pleaded guilty and was sentenced for five years. The other was convicted and sent to San Quentin for ten years. The Express Company showed their appreciation for this service by telegraphing Mr. Reynolds a present of $300.
In 1882 he received the appointment of Under Sheriff of Shasta County, William B. Hopping being Sheriff. This position he now (1890) holds. For the last eight years he has aided in the arrest of many criminals and has taken many to prison. None ever escaped from him after being captured.
December 19, 1889, Company E, Eighth Infantry Battalion, C.,N. G., was organized , with sixty of the best young men of Redding. Mr. Reynolds was chosen Captain. They are well equipped, make a fine appearance and are a credit to themselves as well as the city of Redding.
Mr. Reynolds was married, March 6, 1874, to Miss Eva Smithson, a native of Belvidere, Illinois. They have three children, born in Shasta County, namely: Mary L., Eddie S. and John B.
Mr. Reynolds has taken nine degrees in the Masonic order, and has passed all the chairs in the I.O.O.F. In 1880 he received the nomination for Sheriff by the Republican party, but it was decided by the Superior Court that there would be no election and that the old officer would hold over two years. (Source: Memorial and Biographical History of Northern California, Lewis Publishing Co., 1891 pages 778-780 Transcribed by: Melody Landon Gregory August 2004 )
Albert Roberts (Secretary, 1917) (1904 Dir. A. I. Salesman at 81 Tellurium Ave.)
Ernest A. Rolison (90: 16, Redding City Manager met aviators upon landing due to engine trouble at Oliver Tract Field (between Cypress and Sacramento River), along with Mayor Moore took the aviators to the Golden Eagle Hotel for lunch, Dec. 18, 1918?) (1920 Census lists him as married to Pearl with daughter Alice, ages 33, 32, 9, from California, City Manager.) (1904 Dir. lists E. A., as Postoffice Clerk, 315 Sacramento St.) (1996: ...then city engineer, reported at the March 6, 1916 Board meeting that "64 arc lights had been found not burning during the month of February." ...an electrical contractor and one of the first promoters of a municipal street lighting system... City Engineer Rolison had a set of plans outlining the system of the Northern California Power Company. He estimated a duplicate system at 1918 prices would cost $40,000, so the Board of Trustees went ahead and set a bond election..."The first year of operation: Framed on the wall in the office of the Superintendent of the city's Electrical Department in 1961 (and it may still be there) was a summary of a financial report signed by E. A. Rolison, the City Manager of Redding in 1921..."
Albert F. Ross, Sr. (Sheriff and later associated with Briggs in the abstract and title business). (91:44,63, 92:54-55
Albert Ross (Judge) 54:7,8, 69:62,74, 84:27,32,80, 44:3, 48:4, 50:55-56,89
California, Voter Registers, 1866-1898 about John H Schraer
Name: John H Schraer
Residence Year: 1896
Residence Place: Shasta, California
Birth Year: abt 1830
John H Schraer
Residence Year: 1886
Residence Place: Shasta, California Farmer in Whitmore, came from Prussia via Solano Co. in 1868
Birth Year: abt 1830
1900 United States Federal Census about John H Schraer
Name: John H Schraer
Birth Date: May 1830
Home in 1900: Millville, Shasta, California
Immigration Year: 1851
Relation to Head of House: Head
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Louisa F Schraer
Marriage Year: 1872
Years Married: 28
Father's Birthplace: Germany
Mother's Birthplace: Germany
Occupation: View on Image
Neighbors: View others on page
John H Schraer 70
Louisa F Schraer 61
Otto F Schraer 26
Agnes M Schraer 21
View original image
T. W. H. Shanahan (60:13, March 7, 1912 addressed county board of supervisors re: Camden Turnpike toll road, ordered taken over by county as public highway) (Owned a ranch on Alexander Avenue in Anderson where the Shanahan clan lived and raised prunes, apricots, and peaches. House was on the corner of Alexander and Riverside Drive. Became a State Senator. Established Palo Cedro in 1891 along with Joe Enright when they purchased 30 acres from Lem Benton, divided it into 12 lots, laid out a town, but it didn't materialize until later) (03:??, Christine Sutherland Glover was employed in law offices, working for Chas. Braynard, T. W. H. Shannahan (later Supt. of the U.S. Mint in S.F.) and Sweeney and Tillotson, until her marriage.))
Frank M. Swasey (Son of Benjamin who established the Swasey Motel at Lower Springs, and who Swasey Drive was named for. Frank was born at Lower Springs, purchased the Redding Independent newspaper in 1879 and became the editor, also was founder and editor of Redding Free Press newspaper in 1883) (Gary Hughes) (55:32, 59:7, 70:60, (78:50, was photographer with father c1877 in Shasta and touring Shasta County)
Edward Sweeny (Superior Court Judge) (Attorney with office in Shasta in 1881) (47:37, 49:35, 65:12, 66:7,35, 70:29, 92:69,71) Death: 02/23/1910
Harry E. Thompson (1920 Census lists Harry as married to Mabel C., father of Harry V. and Dudley Wallis, ages 35, 30, 2 7/12, and 0/12, manager of clothing store.) (Jerry Clements)
Willard Denton Tillotson (City Attorney, Judge) (1861-1952) (43,44,45:5, 44:33, 47:31, 48:22, 52:2) (49:39-40, Arrived in Redding on the 19th of January, 1896, from Tacoma, WA, with wife and two young children. Stayed at the Depot Hotel near swamp where U.S. Post Office and Western Hotel are now located. From room heard the frogs sing all night, and millions of mosquitoes) (1996: "The first hearings in this dispute (Redding vs. Northern California Power Company) were held in Redding on February 27, 1919, and in San Francisco on March 18. City attorney W. D. Tillotson represented the City at these hearings."; Called the 'Dean of Redding Attorneys'; March 3, 1891 was appointed Consul-General to Japan, a position holding the rank of brigadier general and he was known as "the general" in his latter days in Redding. He was appointed by President Harrison, retired when Cleveland was elected, at the urging of a friend who was one of the promoters of the sale of the Iron Mountain Mine to the Mountain Copper Company, he decided to settle in Redding after returning from Japan. (Married Etta Kirkendall in 1887, became the attorney for all the leading mines Shasta County. DA from 1907-1911, Superior Court Judge in 1914, appointed City Attorney in 1916, served until 1937 except for 1926, continued to practice law almost until his death in 1952 at age of 91). Searchlight 1-1-1908: DA Tillotson revoked assistant DA Charles W. Herzinger's appointment, after latter had refused to resign.